1) The Squash: use a peeler to remove the rind of the squash. You want to get down to the dark orange flesh before you stop peeling. Then, chop off the top and bottom of the squash and slice down the middle lengthwise. You can now scoop out the seeds and chop into 1 inch cubes. You are going to be blending it all up later, so don't waste time making perfect bite-sized cubes.
2) Heat a large saucepan on medium heat with olive oil. Sauté onions for 5 minutes and then add garlic and squash. Sauté together for seven to ten minutes
3) Add broth and cooked beans and cover, continuing to cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
4) Add salt and pepper and sage and blend
in the pot with hand blender. If you do
not have hand blender, remove to food
processor or blender and then return to
saucepan for seasoning. Add water until
you have achieved desired consistency.
5) Let simmer for 5 minutes and serve, garnishing with fresh sage.